Spartance Race SEA Series Finale Trifecta Weekend - Ilanin Forest, Subic Bay, Philippines

https://66.media.tumblr.com/0a71cc1b08ed622ee3ae1e30e89efcaf/bbfc55d4da7af108-c2/s640x960/487eaa9e485510eacfc7f593ff8673922f67fe7b.png

I've seen on Facebook that Spartan Race is coming to Subic Bay, Philippines for the SEA Series Finale Trifecta Weekend. I am a bit familiar with the Spartan Race series since it's a world famous OCR (Obstacle Course Race) though I know little about their categories, obstacles, mechanics and pricing. So I was like, "this shouldn't be missed!" and I immediately checked on the details. This could be the highlight of my year.Last year, I made my first ever half marathon (21K) of which I almost crawled my way up to the finish line 😅, and this year it was no ordinary race.

The event was scheduled September 15 and 16 and was held at Ilanin Forest, Subic Bay, Philippines. This was the third major Spartan Race in the Philippines since their debut last year in the country. I registered for Spartan Sprint - the race with the shortest distance among the three categories (the others are Spartan Super and Spartan Beast). It sports 20-23 obstacles over 3+ miles. Mine was Spartan Sprint of September 16 with a gun time of 10AM.

Just a few days before the race, a super typhoon hit the Philippines, locally known as "Ompong" and with an international name, "Mangkhut" 😭. According to PH weather agency, it's packing sustained winds of 205 km/h and the Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System declared that it's equivalent to a Category 5 Storm. The organizers had no choice but to postpone the September 15 event and as a result, all race events were moved to September 16 😩, giving consideration to those who traveled far just to participate and were already in Subic. My category gun time was moved to 11AM.

Some of my friends from work went with me to witness the event since it's the first time to be held in Subic. They became my official photographers and supporters 😂.

 

We went there as early as 8AM, and as expected, there are lots of people on the venue (participants and non participants). We arrived an hour early, and it took me approximately 45 mins. just for the registration and pick-up of race kit.

 

It was an absurdly fun experience. I had to climb and jump over a 6 and 7 ft. walls just to get to the start line. On the start line, we gather and the Spartan master of ceremony started the spirit lifting chant, as it goes like this...

Start Point Hurdles

"Today you embark upon a quest like those of legends old. You will face unimaginable challenges and push yourself further than you ever thought possible, And to prepare you for that battle, I will ask you one very simple question, "Who am I?"

 

We responded, shouting at the top of our lungs, "I AM A SPARTAN!"

WHO AM I?

 

We responded, shouting at the top of our lungs, "I AM A SPARTAN!"

 

We are honored by your courage and commitment to excellence, but know this-- Today your mind, body, and spirit will all be put to the ultimate test, for you chase glory on this day!
WHO AM I?

 

We responded, shouting at the top of our lungs, "I AM A SPARTAN!"

 

Look at the Spartans on your right and your left. You will draw strength from them as they will draw strength from you. You will NOT let them fail!
WHO AM I?

 

We responded, shouting at the top of our lungs, "I AM A SPARTAN!"

 

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you STAND, sons and daughters of Sparta! Stand and FIGHT! For today is the day that you rise to glory, not tomorrow, not next week. Right here, right now, in YOUR house, Subic PH, your HOME--
WHO AM I?

 

And for the last moment we responded, shouting at the top of our lungs still, "I AM A SPARTAN! AROO! AROO! AROO!".

 

With that, we were set off.

The weather was still a little bit off, causing a muddy trail and since there are those Spartan Categories who set off earlier than my category, the trail was very much mashed. Not that far when we had our first set of obstacles. There were hurdles around 6', 8' and 9' ft. I guess, and vertical cargo. We just need to go pass over it (an easy peasy).

Followed by running again... Before this event, I only had 3 sessions of free running (performed a week before the race - Wednesday, Friday and Sunday).

Next obstacle, we had the Sandbag Carry. For us men,  the weight of the sandbag was 40lbs. We had to carry it for a given distance, and take a U-turn back to where we pick it from. This was easy, although I can really feel the strain on my knees.

The Atlas Carry was one of the real deal, since I didn't register as an elite, it was ok for us to help and be helped by others. We lift a very heavy stone and moved it to the other side then return to its original position. This one really test if you are doing your squats and how good is your form doing it.

We proceeded with the Over Under Through and then leaped with the best we can to overcome the Wall Jump obstacle.

I will never forget the Rope Climb obstacle. I climbed using arms power only and the moment I rang the bell, my grip loosen and I fell. It's a good thing that safety is always the priority as they installed cushions on the ground.

Other obstacles included were Barbed Wire Crawl, Bucket Brigade, Hercules Hoist, and these were the obstacles to which I failed Spear Throw and Monkey Bar. Failing an obstacle will render you 30 counts of burpees, which was a total stamina drainer.

The race ended with a Fire Jump, which I think was very awesome.

To sum it all up, here's a link to a short video of the event by Yi Technology. https://web.facebook.com/yitechnologypilipinas/videos/274578466509689/

Finishing the race will reward you finisher shirt, finisher medal and the rights to brag being a Spartan Finisher.

Post a Comment

0 Comments